Wednesday, May 25, 2011

A first for Stevenage and the UK

The first pre stressed granite bridge in the UK was installed at HTA's Stevenage Town Centre Gardens. Spanning almost 14m, it has a deck thickness of only 28cm and weighs 22 tonnes.

The bridge has no beam, or piers being supported at its ends by bearings on abutments. 

The bridge is designed by HTA landscape and engineered and fabricated by Kusser AichaGranitwerke in Germany and transported in one piece by road. The bridge was lifted into place by a 400 tonne mobile crane unit. 
 
The bridge is the centrepiece of HTA's Heritage Lottery Funded refurbishment of the Gardens which are due to be completed this summer.








1 comment:

  1. I’m impressed!! Really informative blog post here my friend. I just wanted to comment & say keep up the quality work. I’ve bookmarked your blog just now and I’ll be back to read more in the future my friend! Also nice colors on the layout, it’s really easy on the eyes.

    Crane Repair and Maintenance

    ReplyDelete